Saturday, March 12, 2011

Flying Fish Substitute - For those of us not living in sunny Barbados:(

This is how I make my 'flying fish' here in the states and it's not too bad!

Firstly, you have to make some green seasoning  or you can use the bottled stuff  if you're lazy (like me!):



Then defrost some fish.  I used this:

but any nice white fleshed fish would be good - and probably better!

Then, in keeping with our tradition, soak in lime and salt to 'clean' the fish (just 5 mins or so, we're not cooking it):



Rinse off the lime and salt, pat dry, slice some slits in the flesh and stuff with seasoning:


Now, tilapia doesn't bend over like flying fish, so I don't use the flour mixture like the true Bajan way.  But this is good too;)
Mix a couple of eggs with a bit of water and baking powder (I still add the baking powder - not sure if it does  anything, but I like it) and then dip in the fish, then breadcrumbs, then fry (saute?) in a little oil:


Gosh, don't they look yummy?!  I served mine with cajan rice and beans - which we would NEVER do in Barbados, so don't be like me;)



It was really good though.

Enjoy:)













No comments:

Post a Comment